Friday, May 29, 2009

June 9th: Is he gay or isn't he?

Is it only me who doesn’t care about the answer to this question? From the very first time I saw Adam Lambert on American Idol, I thought he was gay. Did that make any difference to me one way or the other? Absolutely not? What is the big deal people?

Of course, my fav blogger is all up in arms because Adam won’t openly admit that he’s gay. Perez seems personally affronted by Adam’s lack of forthcoming. What is interesting to me is that this is now a rather big story in the mainstream media. I’ve read articles in People, US, and Entertainment Weekly, all speculating about his sexuality.

The article that particularly interested me is from Kara DioGuardi's perspective. She basically says that she never thought that Adam was even in the closet. In The View Episode set to air Friday, Barbara Walters wonders if “Lambert’s controversial loss to Kris Allen was influenced by questions about whether Lambert is gay.”

Okay, people, get real, Adam was in the bottom two of American Idol exactly ONE time. Kris almos t went home a few. Obviously Adam had people voting for him the whole competition. I hope that him maybe being gay had nothing to do with it. I can admit though that there is a section of people who might be turned off by his “penchant for eyeliner, nail polish, tight pants and flamboyant hair styles..” Wait are we talking about Steven Tyler or Adam Lambert here?
Okay, my husband says that I’m stretching my argument here, and I have no idea if I’m on the right track. But is Adam protected by the First Amendment here? Isn’t it within his right to not speak? Of course, it’s within the tabloids right to speculate too?

I guess what really bothers me about this case goes back to Walter’s speculation. Is Lambert afraid to come out because he’s afraid it will impact his popularity? Why the secrecy? Lambert says “You should own who you are and what you’re about, and never make apologies for it.” This is the particular quote that got the tabloids roaring. Adam seems to be contradicting himself. He clearly isn’t “owning” who he is by hiding behind all the speculation. Or is it really just not anybody’s business?

It seems ironic to me that Lambert is so averse to admitting he is gay when it is such a common topic in the media right now. Everybody is talking about in the wake of Proposition 8 and Miss California. Is Lambert afraid of the First Amendment or is he hiding behind it? Is he really that afraid of what this will do to his career? Or is her just terrified of how the media will deal with it?

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20281763,00.html
http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20007164_20174011,00.html?bcpid=3887239001&bclid=3343000001&bctid=24448789001
http://perezhilton.com/2009-05-30-lambert-mocking-the-gay-issue-again

5 comments:

  1. It always amazes me that if there is a person in the public eye that gives off some vibe of homosexuality that the public believes it is the persons responsibility to declare their sexuality. If we assume that they are hetersexual then we leave them alone... they don't have to tell us. I believe Adam's refusal to announce his sexuality is just as protected by freedom of speech as someone else who wants to declare something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he's officially out. He decided that this coming out should happen offically via Rolling stone because it would be "cooler." Hmm? "cooler"
    The more I read about this guy, the less I like him. He says he was inspired to audition after trying some "funguses" at a concert. Is this two much information?? Not sure if I like this guy too much?
    One interesting quote: "I'm trying to be a singer, not a civil rights leader."
    I think he made his sexuality more of a big deal by not admitting it up front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://perezhilton.com/2009-06-09-im-proud-of-my-sexuality

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe Adam has every right to come out if he wishes--and apparently he did--or not to do so. I believe his decision to let the "media" speculate on his sexual orientation kept him in the limelight longer than he would have otherwise been; he seems to buy into the old adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity, and that might have been a smart move as far as marketing goes. I don't really follow this stuff, but I wonder if the competition's winner has received nearly the publicity Adam has. As a society we do tend to demand that homosexuals "declare" their orientation, but I agree that the right not to speak should be given the same respect as the right to do so. And Adam has every right to be just a singer,"not a civil rights leader." I agree that the more I hear about him, the less appealing he becomes; if it were me, I wouldn't "follow" him anywhere so maybe it's just as well that he concentrate on singing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely well said. I wasn't sure if I was stretching the issue a bit here with Intellectual Freddom. I think you make a good point about any bad publicity being good publicity. He was probably very aware of what he was doing by not talking. This makes me like him less. And you know what, for somebody who doesn't want to be a leader, he certainly has a lot of opinions he likes to share.

    ReplyDelete